Wednesday, August 8, 2012

First Week Challenges

This week is our first, first week of school. This is the week of preplanning for me... getting the room ready, getting materials and supplies organized, attending trainings, preparing for Open House, planning for the first few days, etc. And the first week for my kiddos to experience having a working mama, going to work with mama, and being super tired right along with their mama. Next week will begin our second, first week of school when my babies will start and go to their own classes and my new little students will come. It's exciting and scary at the same time!

This week has been less challenging than I predicted in some ways and lots more challenging in other ways. Lots more. I guess it's just been really different than expected but still a big ole adjustment just like I knew it would be.

Our mornings have been better than expected. Yay! Terrell has been a huge help with the morning routine and so far we haven't been rushing around like crazy or struggling to get to work/school on time. The boys have been pretty cooperative and the start of our day has gone fairly smoothly.

Our afternoons have been tougher than expected. I am exhausted. Worn out. Drained. Sleepy. And so are the boys. I guess you can tell we aren't used to getting up and being away for 5 hours straight. And poor Austin is really worn out because he's used to a morning nap. Bless his heart. We're all ready to crash once we get home and the last thing on my mind is cooking. Both Monday and Tuesday we did simple meals that required no cooking for me. My poor family. I'm thinking they'll survive though.

Our days at work/school have been easier and harder than expected. Monday was great! The boys did really good, I was able to accomplish a lot, and things were easy for the most part. Today on the other hand was pretty awful. Austin was into everything. It was kind of like a nightmare. I think he pulled off the border from our bulletin board no less than 5 times and I think I removed him from something he couldn't have/get near no less than 20 times. (My back hurts.) Garrison had his own issues too... he had trouble sharing with my co-teacher's 4 year old which led to a meltdown and had trouble listening and obeying. They were just a handful and made it very difficult for me to get things done. At one point I wanted to cut my losses and get out of there. That or just have a meltdown right along with them. But now it's a thing of the past so that's where we'll leave it. =) Thankfully tomorrow we're only going in for a little bit to take care of some last minute stuff before Open House on Friday. I'm praying things go much better than today!

My evenings have been sort of rough too because I'm trying to prepare for the next day by making lunches and ironing clothes and working on newsletters, but I'm also trying to cram in Premier stuff that I'm used to taking care of during the day. So that's been an adjustment and made things kind of crazy. I haven't been spending much time with my husband or watching my shows or the Olympics or even reading my favorite blogs. Hopefully things will calm down once we have a good routine and once we're only going to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On a day, off a day. Yes, that will be much better. On a good note, I am sleeping all night. Yay! I used to really struggle with that when I was teaching 2nd grade because I always had a ton on my mind and a to-do list a mile long... which is pretty accurate this time around too, except that this time I'm still sleeping. Thank you Lord!

The week has been filled with ups and downs and lots and lots of challenges, but we're on the downhill stretch and I know we'll settle in and get adjusted and life will feel normal again soon. Or at least I hope so! I'm sad that I don't handle all of this newness and busyness and craziness better and that it's been confirmed yet again that I am not super woman. But, I am excited about meeting my "students" and their parents and getting the boys on a new, consistent routine and just getting the year started. It will be fun and stress free soon enough. Until then, Terrell Selph is just going to have to put up with me. =)

No comments: