Friday, September 15, 2017

Friday Favorites: Irma Edition

Happy Friday! Our week turned out super crazy and unexpected so I thought I'd attempt to document our faves from the craziness. ☺

We found out at the very end of our school day on Friday that school would be closed both Monday and Tuesday due to the expected impact of Hurricane Irma. It was exciting news because of extra days off but also made me a little leery of the approaching bad weather. But we went ahead with our regular weekend plans which included a lazy Friday night movie night, and pretty much all soccer for Saturday and Sunday. Plus church. 

Layton came down with something similar to rsv last week so he couldn't play in his first ever game, but Terrell went to watch Austin play early Saturday morning while me, Garrison, and Layton traveled to Garrison's away game and Terrell and Austin met us there in time to see the whole game too. Austin scored twice in his game and his team won in a shut out. My number 4 played awesome. ☺


We didn't get any pictures at Garrison's games because of cheering and excitement and frigid winds. His team won their 1st game on Saturday but lost a close one on Sunday. And by Sunday afternoon the wind was crazy and the temperature was dropping. We FROZE at the soccer field. So we came home and moved everything from our front porch under our garage and watched the weather while we settled in for our extra days off. 

Monday morning was lazy and laid back. The weather wasn't super scary just windy and rainy. I changed all the sheets on all the beds and did laundry before letting the boys do a "Fall craft" aka paint a construction paper pumpkin. Haha. They loved painting and we were enjoying our day off to the fullest.

Until the power went off. In the middle of lunch. Thankfully that's all that really happened here for us. We didn't have any trees to fall or any sort of wind damage or even scares from the storm. But being without power definitely made the day crawl by. 

But I finally finished my book! And I think this one may be my favorite Elin Hilderbrand book! And I've read a ton and loved a ton, I just especially loved this one. ☺

By Monday afternoon we were pulling out all the puzzles, games, papers, ideas, THINGS we could come up with. 


Terrell was probably the most bored in the house. Ha. He finally got out to get ice so we could save our food and he managed to find us supper for Monday night. I think the whole town was without power so he waited in line at Ingles for at least half an hour with tons of other people looking for a hot meal. We ate by candlelight and flashlight Monday. Everybody slept decent and thankfully our house was cool and the only issue we had was the lack of noise. We are all used to sleeping with some kind of noise so it was too quiet for everybody! Thankfully we could listen to the wind and rain even though it had calmed down quite a bit.

Tuesday we were still without power so we decided to head over to my in-laws who actually never lost power. I was able to shower (#yaaaaay) and then we made chili and baked potatoes to have for supper. It felt good to get out of our house and to have power for a while! We even got in some fun games while we did laundry Tuesday night. School was cancelled for Wednesday and we were relieved to have another day off since things for most of our county were far from back to normal (including us!).

Late Tuesday night around 11 our power came back on (SO thankful!!) and even though I was half asleep I knew I was going to make the most of Wednesday!

Wednesday morning we woke up to normalcy and were off to run all of our errands that since I started working, typically have to be saved for the weekend. It was awesome. ☺ The boys and I had a great day together. 

Our favorite part of the whole day was Target! #ourfavoritesectionofthestore I decided to get the boys a bag of popcorn to share while we shopped and the sweet lady working gave them 3 separate bags. #God'sgrace #Ihopeshewasblessedtherestofherday


Wednesday I was able to get a lot done and then we all went out to eat with my side of the fam at our fave Mexican restaurant. It was a fun way to wrap up our time off. We were back to school and reality on yesterday and are somehow still worn out this morning. Haha. But this picture of Garrison reading on the way to soccer was my favorite sights from yesterday. I am so thankful he loves to read!!

And this little man donned his soccer uniform for the first time last night before soccer pictures and was the cutest thing ever! I just about couldn't handle it!! He was so proud and loved wearing his soccer clothes. ☺

This weekend is Buggy Days for our hometown and Terrell and I have special date planned too. (We're getting to enjoy one of Terrell's birthday gifts that we're super excited about!) We are so thankful it's Friday and looking forward to our weekend! 

(Continue to pray for those affected by the crazy hurricanes. Our power being out for about 36 hours was a minor inconvenience compared to what others have suffered and lost. I am remembering them and praying for them daily.) 

Have a great weekend!

No comments: