Thursday, August 23, 2018

Notes from August

Thanks to a surprise mid-week day off (due to an unwelcome stomach bug), I've had some time to gather my thoughts and come up with a list of notes from August. We've just had SO much happening and going on that blogging has been one of the last things on my mind. I've had very little time to think with the craziness of going back to school taking over everything. It's just been go, go, go, and then crash. Haha! But today I have a chance to write a little, so I'm taking it!

Here's a list of 10 random notes from August....

1. Along with not blogging, I haven't been taking many pictures either. Boo! I think I've been so tired that I haven't had the energy. Or it hasn't even occurred to me to take pictures.... or when it has I haven't felt like it. So I need to get back in the habit. It's important. It's memories. It's my job as a mama. 😊

2. We haven't been swimming much since school started back. Which makes me sad. I think we've swam 2 or 3 times this month and that's it. Not enough at all. One of the times we swam I did 30 laps in a row. So that was a big deal! And we're going to be swimming for Austin's birthday party this weekend... and hopefully plenty over Labor Day weekend.... so we still have some swimming to take advantage of. It's just a doozy going back to school and starting soccer and homework and busyness again!

3. My side of the fam got together two Saturday nights in a row to celebrate Frankie's birthday and Terrell's birthday. We had so much fun and laughed so hard both nights. We ate good, celebrated hard, and had the best time together. I don't have any pictures from either night (see #1), but both nights were awesome and fun-filled.

4. One thing I have not neglected since school started back is my favorite podcasts! I do have to sort of pick and choose which episodes I want to listen to, but I find a way to squeeze in the ones that I feel led to or am really interested in hearing. I usually start and finish the episodes before and after my showers at night. It's just a good time when I'm by myself to listen. Every once in a while I listen while getting ready in the morning or while cooking supper.... but those are fewer and farther between. 

5. Speaking of cooking.... it's been almost non-existent this month. #soashamed #mypoorfamily The thing is, we aren't all together in the evenings at the same time..... hardly ever. And while I cringe and stress over that very fact, it's just a season and I know we prioritize our family time on the weekends, our nights off, and our seasons off. So I'm mostly at peace with our schedule. But the only 2 school nights that make sense to cook are Tuesdays and Wednesdays so far. (With Garrison eating later than us on Tuesdays.... so Wednesdays being the only day the 5 of us can eat together at the same time.) Some Mondays will be possible I hope, but it just hasn't happened yet. And Thursdays are our toughest night for sure. We're all at different soccer fields with all 3 kids the whole night. Ugh. So I'm probably going to start cooking on Friday nights (a night off!) and maybe one other time over the weekend depending on our plans. And hopefully Mondays will be a night we can eat together too from time to time. So cooking will get back on track one day. It has to.... we're pretty tired of take-out!

6. My kiddos have already experienced the back to school germs and sickies. Layton started with a runny nose first, then Austin, then Garrison. They never turned into anything major and seem to be past it now, but it's not fun having little colds the 2nd week of school! Then on yesterday Layton woke up sick with some sort of stomach bug. Thankfully it wasn't major, but it still has us holding our breath a little. The boys all sleep in the same room most nights and germs are easily shared around here. So we're praying nobody else gets it!

7. On Monday night for Terrell's birthday we got in a date night and went to the movies to see Mission Impossible 6! We've seen all of the Mission Impossible movies and several at the theater.... so we really wanted to keep the tradition. It almost didn't happen but Terrell found a way because it's what he wanted for his bday. And it did not disappoint! We love those movies. 😊 It was a fun date night to kick off our week. 

8. We are all on some serious baby watch around here! Baby Girl could make her appearance any day now!! The C-section has been scheduled, however, we are suspicious her birthday could be sooner. 😊 I know her mama is ready to meet her! I think everybody at school is on baby watch too. Haha! Anna has us all on pins and needles. Everyone is anxiously awaiting the arrival of Harlie Franklynn!!

9. I'm pretty sure we are all still adjusting to heading back to school. August is just tough! Layton is doing much better about going in his classroom every morning but he still sheds some tears from time to time and still tries to come up with excuses not to go to school. We're still super tired, still figuring out our new routine with soccer, and still trying to find our homework and study groove. Basically we're still limping along.... at least I am as a parent. As a teacher? Things are going great! I love my class and we are off to a great start. I'm still in awe of how God changed my heart towards working full time and teaching and the way He provided the perfect position for me. It's not an easy job, but it's one I love and am so thankful for!

10. At the moment we're planning and looking forward to Austin's 7th birthday party, Labor Day weekend, Austin turning 7, and welcoming Fall next month!! August is a shock to the system, but things will settle down soon and September is a favorite. We can do it!! #repeatingtoselfoverandover

It's Friday Eve!! #praisehands Have a great Thursday!

No comments: