Tuesday, August 14, 2018

1 Week In

We have one full week (plus a day) of school behind us and I think it's safe to say this has been our toughest, most exhausting start yet. Phew! We have just had some serious adjusting to do which has made the switch from "summering" to "schooling" a challenge! 

Thankfully I know we'll get there eventually and we'll find a groove and settle in; but in the meantime, I sort of feel like we're limping along trying to figure it all out.... waking up super early, working and being "on" all day long, getting to soccer practice, feeding everyone despite different schedules (and exhaustion!), not being lazy, etc, etc, etc. It's been a doozy. Haha. But I thought I'd share a few details of our first week. What I can remember in the midst of the blur, that is. 😊

But first...….The week of pre-planning went great. So that was awesome! I was tired but not exhausted, my kiddos were happy and enjoyed their time with their grandparents, we hadn't started soccer yet, and I was still cooking. Hahaha. So things were pretty smooth as I transitioned back to work.



But then on last Monday came school starting. And all the emotions from all the Selph five (minus Terrell) were on overload. We were tired, we were sad, we were excited, we were nervous, we were happy, we were anxious, we were grumpy, we were exhausted, we were scared, we were hopeful, WE WERE EMOTIONAL. #sucharollercoaster

Open House went great, meeting my students went amazingly, meeting my kids' teachers went well, and while we were sad to return to school (Austin and Layton), we were all in good spirits and shared mostly good attitudes about the upcoming school year. (Especially me!! Summer is hard to say goodbye to but I really love my job and was truly excited about welcoming my new students and starting this new year.)

We had a sleepy and rushed morning the first day of school but everyone made it to school on time and there were no tears from anyone except one or two of my students and a few of the mamas in my class. 😊

But Monday afternoon the craziness and emotions and exhaustion set in and showed up. #everybodycried And unfortunately the mornings seemed to get worse. Our baby decided he wasn't a fan of school and sobbed every single morning after Austin dropped him off. (I walk him down but Austin stays with him for a minute and then drops him off.... he's been the biggest help!) Sometimes off and on throughout the day. Talk about breaking my heart. And making me feel torn between my students who were struggling to adjust and my baby. It was rough. All week long. 

We also had a death in the family and things were just emotionally draining. Plus we were all SO wiped out and not sleeping very good so going back to school was a shock to the system. In addition to our extra curricular activities starting. (For the record, I do NOT like practices, "camps", and other such extra beginning the first week of school. Come on people. This ain't workin for nobody. Sigh.) PLUS, I was planning for a baby shower to host at my house for one of Terrell's co-workers. Definite overload for the first week of school!

Thankfully things with my class went really well! We had some tears each morning and even one exciting moment with a "runner" who tried chasing after mama, but my sweet students really adjusted well and started getting the hang of things quickly! Such a blessing!! (And Austin lost his first tooth on top! A big time highlight of our first week of school! 😊)

Layton eventually started coming around to school. It's been a slow process but he's making progress! Baby steps are a big deal!! And yesterday we had NO tears!! #allthepraisehands

Last week was a blur between school and soccer, baby shower prep, and early mornings and late nights. Plus we were all feeling ALL the emotions. It was just crazy at our house! Thankfully this week is already feeling better. We are still in big time adjustment mode, but things aren't quite so dramatic, emotional, and exhausting. Well, maybe exhausting, but not as dramatic and emotional. So we'll take it! August is always a challenge but His grace is sufficient. This mama is claiming it! 😊

Not sure how often I'll blog coming up but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of it eventually. Once things settle down and we finally adjust. Haha. Here's hoping and praying for a Terrific Tuesday and more progress in the "adjusting" department!!

No comments: