Friday, August 25, 2017

Currently

Happy Friday! I want to keep the blog updated as much as I can during this transition, and for this week this was the best I could do. This week and next week are super crazy so who knows when I'll be back regularly. Anyway, maybe September will bring more opportunities for blogging. I miss it! 

Here's a look at life around here currently...

*Eating... This week we've had American Pie's pizza buffet once, I made scrambled hamburgers one night, Terrell grilled one night, and last night was Parent Night at school so we all grabbed take-out at different times. Thank goodness for freezer meals and a supportive husband! I'm not cooking a ton but thankfully we haven't suffered too terribly much. 

*Planning... Currently we are planning for our middle man's 6th birthday party. =) It's coming up next Saturday and this is the first time I've ever planned a birthday party for any of my boys while working full time. #hopewecanpullitoff It is CRAZY trying to get everything ready, cleaned, and planned for while working all day every day. Plus exhausting. But Austin had his heart set on a party at home with a water slide like we've always done for him so that's what we're going to do. Maybe it will all come together!

*Loving... The start to our school year! Are we exhausted, worn out, so tired we're sleep walking, and ready for a break? ABSOLUTELY. Haha! But the start to this year has been amazing. And it's totally without a doubt, God's grace. We have all had the best start and I couldn't have imagined things going any more smooth. I am still overwhelmed and trying to process everything new to me this year having never taught PreK before, BUT, I am loving it so much. I'm confident this is where I'm supposed to be. It hasn't been challenge free or without some late nights or stressful moments, but I just know I've found my place. I am supposed to be with babies who are learning all about school, how to be away from their parents, how to get along with others, and at the ground floor and very start of their academic careers. =) I am enjoying it so much. And my boys are just doing great in 3rd grade, Kindergarten, and Preschool! They have all had such an easy transition. God has really shown us His goodness through this big transition and we are so, so thankful. His grace and goodness are undeserved and amazing.

*Not Loving... Feeling exhausted all the time. Phew. The struggle is real! I'm trying to eat energy giving foods and get plenty of rest and drink lots of water, but so far I'm still dragging something serious. I think it's just an August thing. I'm hoping as Fall approaches I start to feel better. Plus this miserably hot weather isn't helping things. It's draining. Thankfully we've a felt a little relief in the mornings! I'm also not loving the annual August sickies. I think Garrison and Austin are past their little colds and Terrell has already had his this month but the runny nose is still plaguing my littlest man and I've had a scratchy throat and headache off and on for a couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll be rid of the crud soon!

*Watching... Since school started back we've mainly been watching sports. The Braves, Atlanta United, and pre-season NFL games are about it. We finished Designated Survivor over the the summer and can't wait for it to come back on! We're also excited about our "regulars" coming back too. It's been good that we haven't had any shows to watch since school started back because I'm rarely able to stay up very long after the kids go to bed. Our evenings are busier and we haven't had the time to watch much together. But I'm hoping with all the season premiers coming up late next month or in early October we'll be ready! 

*Reading... I am currently reading Elin Hilderbrand's newest release, The Identicals. It's a slow go so far because I only have a chance to read right before bed so I'm only managing a few pages a night. Haha. But it's really good so far! I read a TON this summer. Probably the most ever in one summer. But now my reading is slowing down and that's okay. Once I'm not exhausted all the time I'll read more again. =)

*Trying... To get the house cleaned, a party planned, lesson plans written, everyone to soccer practice, at least a little down time each day, and my family fed some decent meals. =)

*Hoping... For good weather this weekend when we take the boys to see the Braves play at their new home! We decided back when Garrison was a toddler that we'd like to go every summer and this year we couldn't find a time to go until now. The boys asked right after school started when we were going to a Braves game and we told them it was a surprise. So hopefully they'll be super surprised and thrilled. I know mama and daddy are pretty excited!

*Wanting... The sickies to go away, Fall to come on time (or early!), a fun girls night out tonight (yay!!), extra rest this weekend, party prep to go smoothly, school to continue to go well for everybody, and to see growth, improvement, and a lots and lots of learning from my students. 

*Needing... To continue to find a balance between home and work so that no one is getting the short end of me. One thing I struggled with in the Spring when I took over in a Kindergarten class was feeling like I was at my best at work and at my worst at home. I do NOT want that to happen again. Home should be our safe place and where we're free to completely be ourselves, but I can't give my best at work and have my family suffer. So far I haven't felt that way this year. But, I am learning that working full time--especially as teacher when there are times you could always bring your work home or just set up camp and move in at the school--requires a lot of flexibility and letting it go. I can't cook big meals for my family every single night right now. I also can't cross off everything on my to-do list at school at one time. I have to give myself some grace, I have to be able to let some things go, and I have to prioritize. My mental (and sometimes physical) to do list both at school and at home now consists of 2 parts.... must do now/first, and can do later/can wait on. My family still needs to come first. My marriage and my kids have to be top priority. My responsibilities as a teacher are GREAT. My school babies are important and my job is important, but my family is most important. This transition is testing me but I'm praying I can find the balance I need, maintain it, and keep my priorities in order. Extra prayers are always appreciated because it isn't easy! =)

We are sooo looking forward to our weekend!! Weekends are even sweeter now, if that's possible. Have a great one!  

No comments: