Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day Weekend

Just as we expected and predicted, Father's Day weekend was busy but fun and definitely made us both long to live in Barnesville. There's just something about knowing the drama would be cut in half, at the very least, if only we were going to bed and waking up in our own house. Not to mention no more packing! Sigh. Maybe it'll happen one day. We always say that living in Barnesville won't make life perfect or problem free or holidays any less busy, but it sure would make things a little easier and less stressful and more relaxing. Ahhh. Okay, daydream over. Back to reality.

After the craziness of Mother's Day weekend we decided to celebrate Father's Day with Terrell on Friday night before arriving in the hometown for the weekend on Saturday. And it worked out really good. Maybe it's even a new tradition. We let daddy pick out where he wanted to go out to eat and he decided on Mellow Mushroom. We hadn't been there in forever and we love their pizza! It was crazy busy and loud but we didn't have to wait and we had a yummy dinner.

Here's a shot of my view for the night... 

And a shot of Terrell's...
Our pizza was delicious and daddy was reminded of what being a father is all about... feeding your 9 month old and spending most of the evening making sure he doesn't escape his highchair while also sharing marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and loud but interesting conversations with your 3 year old. We love daddy so much. =)

When we got home we gave daddy his cards and present while mama got a picture of all 3 boys.

The next day we loaded up half the house and made the trip to Barnesville for some good ole family time. We met Terrell's parents for lunch after dropping off Bailey and lots of vacation stuff at my parents' house (it's almost here!!) and then spent the day with his parents. Austin napped while Garrison played in the sand. He loves the sand. I told Terrell we may have to force him to get wet next week because he'll be so wrapped up and content just playing in the sand.

*Garrison doesn't go to sleep during naptime every single day anymore, so we let him skip a nap/rest time on Saturday. We would question this decision before bedtime. Gracious.

After afternoon baths and everyone getting ready, we ventured out to meet Kara and her family at an O'Charley's that's about 45 minutes away... that's how long it's supposed to take to get there. Due to vacation traffic (we're guessing) it took us almost an hour and a half to get there. This made Austin a little fussy upon arrival and kind of started our evening off on a stressful note. Eating out with 4 kiddos 4 and under is always pretty crazy, BUT we had more issues with our kids than we ever have at a restaurant. Our boys have always been great at restaurants. They both like to eat and we've established a consistent routine of them staying seated throughout the meal unless there's a true emergency... and we had one this time.

Shorty after our food arrived Garrison had an upset stomach and spent the majority of dinner in the bathroom with Nana. (Bless his heart. And Nana's.) Then, Austin was super fussy after he finished his baby food. I'm not sure if it was the hour and a half ride in the carseat or what. He was crying, whining, or trying to escape almost the entire time. Finally we got him out of the highchair and took turns holding him. I think we "visited" with Kara and her family 5 minutes total. Crazy. So my husband came up with the idea of meeting at a park and doing something picnic style next time. My only requests were that there be absolutely no pollen in sight and that it be 90 degress or cooler (preferably cooler) temperature-wise.

On the way back to Barnesville we stopped at my parents' house to give my dad his Father's Day gifts because my parents hosted Father's Day at their house and we wouldn't have a good opportunity to give gifts on Sunday. My dad has wanted a "big screen" TV forever, so my mom surprised him BIG TIME with one for Father's Day. It was huge. He loved it. =)
Once we left Granna and Papa's it was back to Nana and Pops' house for bedtime. A meltdown occurred. Of course. But finally both boys went to bed and we were able to relax for the rest of the night.

Sunday morning was wild. Terrell woke up sick. Garrison had a major meltdown. Again. My nerves were shot. Which almost led me to a meltdown of my own. We went to church without Terrell. Thankfully he was able to come later. We had an emotional service at church. We cried. I think that covers everything.

Finally things got a little better once we all got settled at my parents' for lunch. Garrison played outside while Papa grilled. Austin ate lunch but then went down for his nap before we all had lunch. We visited with family. We enjoyed a delicious feast. We celebrated all the fathers in the room. We caught up. It was fun and relaxing. And my mom sent us home with leftovers and summer clothes she bought for the boys to wear on vacation. I tell Terrell a lot that I want to be like her when I grow up. =)

The only glitch we had the whole afternoon was Garrison crying because he didn't want to leave. And we weren't even ready to leave at that point. Can you say delirious from exhaustion? But that was nothing that a visit to the Little Debbie truck couldn't fix. Then when it was time to leave he started crying because he thought mama and daddy did leave him. Oh my. We got the boys home and in bed as early as possible.

I'm so thankful to have celebrated Father's Day with so many great dads. And I'm even thankful for our crazy weekend. It means we're blessed with lots of family and that we're all really close... something I long for my boys to grow up with.

Happy Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

kellimoss said...

Oh my! Between traveling and little kids, there's never a dull moment, huh?! Canon (4) has been revolting against naps for a bit so this wknd we let him skip them while all the other kids napped. It worked great for bedtime. However, it makes me sad he's to that point AND I'm mourning my "me" time! Have a good week.