Thursday, June 14, 2012

Embracing Craziness Part 2: Put to the Test

Well just as soon as I wrote about embracing the craziness of our life right now and made the decision to work on a better attitude and less stress amidst the craziness, I was put to the test. Should've known that would happen.

Tonight was crazy with a capital C. I almost have to laugh as I recall the events of the evening. But I'm really tired. Sigh. Still, I don't want to forget because this is my journal and our family scrapbook, so document and record I must. Here goes...

Terrell got home a little later than normal from work but we proceeded with our regularly scheduled plans of him grilling us hamburger steaks and me cooking green beans and Paula Deen's mashed potatoes as sides. (It would be my first time attempting these potatoes but the recipe was about as simple as they come and I was planning to follow it exactly so they should turn out perfect and delicious.)

Terrell and Garrison went outside to play and grill while Austin and I stayed inside so I could cook and Austin could get into everything... specifically kitchen drawers and Bailey's dog food. Entertaining him, while cooking, while bending down to pick him up and remove him from danger or potential danger no less than 37 times was pure craziness all by itself. And pretty soon I was the one with an aching back.

However, the real craziness of the night began with the potatoes. They turned out terrible. Apparently what I considered 8 medium red potatoes actually equated to 4 teeny tiny small potatoes when following the recipe. My poor, pitiful potatoes were swimming in milk, sour cream, and butter. They were like potato soup, except drowning in butter. It was pretty devestating. I wanted to go to my room and cry (because I honestly can't recall a recipe I've totally ruined) but instead I fed my starving baby (he's not used to eating at the super late hour of 6:20) and tried to enjoy our low-carb dinner... if you don't count the garlic bread.

We made it through supper without any other major issues... almost. The doorbell rang just before we finished eating and Bailey started barking her head off and Austin got fussy and Garrison asked 20 questions about who was at the door and why Bailey was barking and who daddy was talking to and why Bailey had to be put up, etc. It was a little crazy. Especially since daddy stayed outside talking to the AT&T sales people forever.

After daddy came back in we cleaned up from supper and got ready for baths. I got Austin ready for his while Terrell and Garrison went to clean up all their baseball stuff outside before coming in for Garrison's bath. As I'm getting ready to put my naked baby into his bathtub, he tinkles. For a reeeallly long time. While I'm holding him. I just sort of froze. Baby boy had to go bad. It drenched my shirt, went down my leg, soaked my flip flops, and formed mulitple puddles on the bathroom floor. Yuck.

Terrell and Garrison were still outside and I had a naked baby now in the bathtub with no where to go. And still dripping with tee tee. So I started yelling for Terrell as loud as I could. Haha. As soon as he heard me I could hear panic in his voice so I quickly assured him I was fine, just covered in urine. I finished giving Austin a really fast bath before Terrell took over and I stripped down and tried to rid myself of the yuckiness and fought to urge to cry yet again. Gracious.

After giving Garrison his bath and putting Austin to bed, the doorbell rings again. Cue to the barking. (And the questions from my big boy.) As Terrell went outside to talk to the AT&T sales people again, I proceeded to chase Bailey around like a crazy person so I could pick her up and put her in our bedroom so she wouldn't wake my sleeping baby. Desperate times cause for desperate measures... including me looking like a fool chasing my dog around the house. That girl could really benefit from obedience school. I'm sure the sales people didn't know what they were in for ringing my doorbell tonight. Maybe next time they'll think twice.

The whole evening was one thing after another. The circus returned. Literally. It was wild and crazy... and eventually pretty funny. Now I can sit back and chuckle a little. But only because my boys are sound asleep and the house is peaceful. The good news is that we're all in one piece and we all survived the craziness AND mama did not have a meltdown or stress out or even shed a tear from all the drama. Yay for successfully embracing craziness!

No comments: