Thursday, September 19, 2013

Baby #3

In the moment when we first found out we were having another boy, I found myself sort of shocked. Not totally, mouth hanging open, utter disbelief shocked... because I had a "boy" feeling going in and this wasn't our "try" hoping/wishing/dreaming for a girl at all... but I was a tad shocked nonetheless. Shocked that I'd be way out-numbered. Shocked that we'd have a house full of boys and only boys. Shocked that God decided to give us another boy. It was a bit of an overwhelming/whoa/I hope I'm ready for this feeling.

As the day went on my emotions felt all over the place. I was thrilled. I was nervous. I was in love. I was surprised. And it all started to sink in. The craziness, adventure, roughness, sports-loving, loudness, fun, and all things sweaty and dirty heading my way for all 3 of my baby boys' childhoods... and teenage years... and as long as they're under my roof. Cue another mix of emotions.

In the days ahead, other than the anxiety I felt about sharing our news and the sadness I temporarily felt for my firstborn when he expressed his big-time disappointment, I've felt grateful and excited. Nothing short of pure joy over this precious gift. God chose US to be his parents. God chose us for these 3 boys. It has been such a WOW feeling and I have been totally overwhelmed by His goodness.



But I'll be the first to admit that it's been a little intimidating to think of raising all boys. Although I have always heard that boys are easier. They are simple. They don't have the hormones, drama, and issues that girls have. Ha! They love their mamas... I already know this to be fact. =)

However, I've also heard that boys don't communicate well. They don't tell their parents a whole lot. They're more independent (a good and bad thing in my opinion). They are "attacked" viciously by Satan as they grow. And they leave the nest faster.

Gulp.

 
So it is a little intimidating. My mind could really wander to future challenges we'll face or what life will look like as they grow up to be men. (Crazy.)
 
I'm already praying for their relationships with Christ (most important thing EVER), their friends, their relationships with each other, their future wives, everything I can think of. I'm praying we remain a close knit family and that my daughters-in-law are like sisters and a huge blessing to our family. I'm also praying for Terrell and I as we parent and raise our house full of boys. It's going to be wild for sure. 
 
And every time the occassional intimidation sneaks in and gets me a tad nervous, I just remember and return to a verse we talked about in Sunday School the day before we found out our Layton is a Layton...

He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he. Deuteronomy 32:4.

This baby boy is part of God's plan. And we get to be his parents! It's amazing for me to think about how God planned it all. The timing, the 3rd boy, everything. I am SO, SO excited. I can't wait to meet, hold, and love on my newest baby boy. I am SO looking forward to welcoming him to our family and introducing him to his amazing big brothers. He was a surprise blessing that I am beyond grateful for.

Every good and perfect gift is from above. James 1:17 
  
 
Quick update: Garrison hasn't mentioned wanting a girl again since the night we revealed the gender. (I'm so thankful!) In fact he has been super excited about Layton joining the family. I guess he just needed a little time to accept the news that he's going to have another brother. He makes me pictures of our family of 5. He asks how to spell Layton's name. He talks about having 2 brothers. He reminds me that Austin is going to be a big brother like him. The way he has so quickly adjusted to the news has been a huge blessing that I am praising God for. I think he's getting more excited by the day, just like me. =)

No comments: